can qtscript plasmoids load C++ qtscript plugins

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Nov 9 21:49:50 CET 2009

On November 9, 2009, Ian Monroe wrote:
> I suspect the answer to the subject is "no" since I haven't found a
> mention of a method to do it.

"no" is correct.

> But I also haven't found comprehensive
> QtScript API docs. :)

kdebase/workspace/plasma/design/javascript has a growing body of information.

> My situation is that I want to write a full chat solution in a
> qtscript plasmoid using the QtScript Telepathy bindings I wrote. (I'm
> guessing a dataengine or service for buddy presence and chatting would
> be pretty crazy right?)

a datanengine/service would make it really easy for any widget to access them,
but i don't know how well Telepathy would map to that API?

> It would take a 3 line function to add a "loadScriptPlugin". However
> if you wanted to sandbox QtScript plugins then adding such a function
> would undo that, since anyone with the qt bindings installed could
> write files etc. I'm not sure if thats a security goal you have or
> not.

yes, it is a security goal, and yes, such a function would completely destroy
any sandboxing.

the current idea is to allow "sandbox erosion through trust and permission" so
that such a method could be open to trusted / permitted widgets.

this has not been implemented yet as the interest in working on these bindings
is low. what is needed is a way for a widget to say "here's what i want access
to" and then, if the script engine deems it appropriate, to add those pieces
of API at runtime to the engine.

humru othro a kohnu se