PlasMate questions

Yuen Hoe Lim yuenhoe86 at gmail.com
Fri Nov 6 11:59:43 CET 2009

Yeah, it's me again >.< So I've been spending my free time hacking at
PlasMate (mainly editor/previewer related atm) and have more than a couple
of questions that I hope you kind people can give me a hand on :)

First up is a programming question. I'm trying to get the editor (katepart)
to remember its size (or relative size) so that after the user adjusts the
editor size once, it will be that size whenever the editor is activated. I
can't do it :( I've tried the obvious - saving the width and height and
attempting to restore it later - but I don't know how to restore it,
resize() doesn't work, and I don't want to use setFixedSize or
setMinimumSize which would prevent/limit further resizing by the user. I've
also tried not deleting the kpart and reusing it everytime - but then I
discovered that QMainWindow takes ownership of your widget once you set it
as central widget, so eventually QMainWindow happily deletes the kpart, and
plasmate crashes. Any other alternative methods I can try to achieve this?
It seemed like it would be easy to do at first =(

Second, I think minus some rough edges (like the abovementioned issue), the
previewer+editor is mostly done (for plasmoids anyway). I'm thinking it's
probably time to start making progress on the publishing widget. Do we have
a mockup or something of that sitting somewhere that I can refer to to get
me started? :)

Third, I'm guessing that the 'New' buttons in the editor tree should not
behave like they currently do. I'm guessing they should really pop up a
dialog asking for a filename for the new file? I'm also thinking that this
dialog should probably be the same as the one you see in dolphin/konqueror
when creating a new file, so... is there a possibility of reusing some code
somewhere for that?

Fourth, I noticed that katepart creates backup files (terminating with a
'~') whenever plasmate autosaves a file, and then that backup file shows up
in the editor tree and makes it look ugly :P It clearly has to go, my
question is does it make more sense to just get plasmate to ignore files
ending with a '~', or should I find a way to stop katepart from creating
backups?

Thanks in advance :)

----
Jason "moofang" Lim Yuen Hoe