thinking ahead to 4.5: features or polish?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Nov 4 22:16:51 CET 2009

On November 4, 2009, you wrote:
> on the other hand there are spots that are too new, thus needing a big
>  amount of work, also feature wise, thinking about the netbook, of course,
>  where now a big amount of work has been put into having something
>  "shippable", but the work to do is still huge.

if we look at what plasma-netbook will be in 4.4, what can be done to the
feature set as it will exist at that point to make it more reliable and more
complete?

we could add a new kind of containment (multimedia, e.g.). my concern is that
is exactly how it will go given how we've been working for the last 2 years.
now, that leads to great things (just look at what we've done in the last 2
years :), but it's also led to some parts of our existing working being
"gappy" and "mushy" instead of complete and solid.

> or also the overview and the nepomuk integration (will they have a first
> shipped version for 4.4? i hope so?)

same as the netbook situation imho.

> * is a feature that can be considered vital for a decent user experience?
> (like completing missing parts of the netbook)

that's certainly part of polishing in my books, but we may need to define it a
bit better, such as:

"any feature that is considered vital for the existing definition of the user
experience"

> * is something that could be considered the completition of an already
>  present half baked feature?

that's absolutely polishing.

> * is the integration of a feature that was put in and still not really
>  used? (like using the new animation framework around, making components
>  nepomuk activity aware..)

absolutely.

> * is something pretty big but that can facilitate with the goals we have
>  for 4.5? (like rewriting large chunks of old crufty code into something a
>  bit smaller and nicer, thinking about the toolboxes for instance)

if it leads to something that is more solid, more consistent and/or more
complete ... absolutely.

this is all about finishing well what we've already started in on. be it
plasma-netbook or toolboxes. which implies avoiding new cool ideas that don't
already exist in 4.4.

> To summarize, not being something with 0 features as if we were in string
> freeze for 6 months, but something that has a couple of new things with the
> focus on "remember that part you said it had great potentiality? ok, now it
> works"

agreed.

humru othro a kohnu se