Qt Kinetic + Plasma Call For Ideas / Project Plan

Akmanalp, Mehmet A makmanalp at wpi.edu
Thu May 28 13:31:11 CEST 2009

Hello All,
I'm the gsoc guy who's working on integrating QT Kinetic effects into
libplasma. Here's a preliminary project plan and a roadmap:
http://docs.google.com/View?id=dfscskwm_121fdhzq7dn

Basically, what we want is a simplified set of effects and animations
that Plasma developers can use without worrying about implementation
details or efficiency issues.

Here's what I want to know:
1)What default effects would people want? With what default values /
durations? Some ideas I had:
   * Effects:
    - Blur
    - Fade (turn into a shadow but don't disappear)
    - Grow / Shrink / Scale
    - Pulse
    - Shake
    - Flip
    - Change Color (Chameleon effect)
   * Animations:
    - Slide in / out
    - Appear / Disappear

2)How much of kinetic to expose? Do we want to expose it at all? My
opinion is that the aim is to keep the API as simple and easy to use
as possible, so we should only expose specific animation functions.
If anyone wants to do anything more complex than what we have to
offer, then they'd have to use kinetic directly. This is the simple
solution. Any clever ideas on how we'd allow more extensibility?
(Maybe have some abstract base classes that can be subclassed? Just
throwing around ideas at this point.)

3) What else would people want? Any specific requests / insight in
terms of the API design or the functionality / effects available?

4) Any ideas for a cool name? :)

All ideas are welcome at this point, since I'm only trying to
determine what is needed and what there is to be done.
Cheers,
~ mali (http://constant.inople.net/)