battery plasmoid and remaining time..

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu May 14 17:32:56 CEST 2009

On Thursday 14 May 2009, David Nolden wrote:
> We can do a better calculation than the users bad one, and that's why we
> should do it.

but our calculation will still be wrong. and that's a cardinal rule: the user
is allowed to get it wrong. the computer can't without diminishing trust in
the system. lower trust translates to lower enjoyment and less value placed in
the system.

> In the end, the user will calculate the remaining time anyway, but at least
> with working drivers, our calculation will be a lot better.
>
> We shouldn't give disadvantage to the user just to make ourselves look
> better.

it's not about us looking better, it's about allowing the user trust the
system.

is there really 30 minutes of battery left? no.
is it really 15% charged? yes.

which one leads the user to trust that the system offers correct information
and can therefore be trusted and even pay a bit less attention / be less
mentally concerned about it?

all the user will care about the 30 minutes is that they eventually learn it
isn't really accurate and so they can't really trust the system.

humru othro a kohnu se