kinetic-declarative plasma integration

aaron.kennedy at nokia.com aaron.kennedy at nokia.com
Thu May 14 07:51:25 CEST 2009

Hi Aaron,

Great list of questions!  I apologize in advance if my answers are a little
"qml general" rather than specific to the plasma integration, but I'd prefer
to let Alan handle those details rather than me just getting them wrong :)

On 14/05/09 10:30 AM, "ext Aaron J. Seigo" <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> * where can i find the qml language definition?

Sadly a formal language specification hasn't been written yet (short of
reading src/declarative/qml/parser/javascript.g which probably isn't what
you want :)  The "QML For C++ Programmers" documentation shows you all the
things you can do, but not in a formal way.

Obviously this sort of documentation is essential for the released product!

> * why does it implement it's own canvas system? i suppose the idea is to allow
> non-QGraphicsView uses of this? a huge downside i see to this approach is that
> there are now two places to get things wrong (and trust me, if this ends up
> anything like QGraphicsView things will go wrong repeatedly, it's just the
> nature of the beast) and two transformation management code paths (to pick a
> random example) to have fun working out the interactions between. is there
> really no way to have a common system for this?

Part of what we're exploring with this project is a new way of doing
graphical UIs.  In addition to just the declarative language, this involves
experimenting with things like how to best integrate OpenGL, measuring the
maximum achievable performance and exploring any opportunities for
optimization the "declarativeness" might give us.  To help with this the
declarativeui can use its own canvas system.

This is only a temporary situation - we fully intend to have only one canvas
system at release time!

> * how will this work with things like QGraphicsItem, which aren't QObjects?
> will there be a QGraphicsItem bridge written or will we need to roll our own?
> or will this simply be limited to QObject?

Currently the QML engine can only create, and set properties on QObject
derived types.  We're currently debating whether we should add support for
wrapping non-QObject types - is the complexity of the wrapper itself and
managing tricky details such as detecting instance deletion worth it?

Fortunately you're not entirely out of luck.  We do support Qt interfaces
(of which QGraphicsItem is one) so you can do:

class MyWrapperType : public QObject, public MyGraphicsItemType
{
Q_INTERFACES(QGraphicsItem)
};

And then assign that type to a Qt property of type "QGraphicsItem *".

> * there is a *lot* of manual API wrangling in the examples, such as:
>
>     QmlContext *ctxt = m_engine->rootContext();
>     ctxt->activate();
>     ctxt->setContextProperty("applet", this);
>     m_root = m_component->create();
>     ctxt->deactivate();
>
> that honestly looks pretty clumsy. what would make a lot more sense to me is
> something like:
>
> {
>     QmlContext ctx(m_engine);
>     ctx.setContextProperty("applet", this);
>     m_root = m_component->create();
> }
>
> this hides all the "implementation detail" stuff; e.g. why should i care about
> activating and deactivating the thing? for the internals, i get it, but as an
> external API it seems like too many implementation details are leaking out.
>
> as i look through the examples i see a lot of similar cases. thoughts?

EEK!  Sounds like a left over from the early days when you *did* have to
manage your contexts manually.

Now you can just write:

QmlContext *ctxt = new QmlContext(m_engine.rootContext());
ctxt->setContextProperty("applet", this);
m_root = m_component->create(ctxt);

You still have to allocate your context on the heap, as when it is destroyed
all the binding expressions that depend on it are invalidated.

I'll make a note to track down and eliminate all that misleading example
code.

> * i see things like Script { source: "weather.js" } in the examples; where do
> those scripts come from exactly? is it limited to files in the same directory?
> is there protection against requests for random files? can we hook our own
> "find the script" helper into it somehow?

Yes, the scripts are loaded relative to the .qml file.  We are currently
thinking of the collection of .qml and .js files in a directory as a
"package" of sorts; that collectively define a component and its behavior.
We don't really want to introduce any form of search path which can just
lead to security concerns and user confusion.

> * same for question for other resources like pictures

Same answer :)  I believe the plasma specific items do use the kde theme
system to locate images and the like, but I'll have to let Alan handle the
details on that one.

> * can we populate the JS runtime with whatever we want, or are we limited to a
> QML JS runtime?

At the moment the QScriptEngine that we instantiate internally is "ours".
We don't allow applications to twiddle with it in any way.  What sorts of
things would you like to do to it?

> * if one wants to create QML items dynamically, e.g. when a DataEngine returns
> a source create a new QML item and load it, how does that work exactly? can
> that be done from a JavaScript file?

We have a couple of ways of dealing with "lists" of things (which sounds
like what the sources returned from a dataengine conceptually are).  All of
our view classes can take sets of things, and we also have a generalized
"Repeater" element for handling other cases.

For example, were your data engine to expose a list of its available
sources, you could write QML like this to list all their names.

VerticalLayout {
    Repeater {
        dataSource: MyDataEngine.availableSources
        component: Text { text: dataSourceName }
    }
}

If the available sources changed, this list would be updated accordingly.

> * i see lots and lots of what look like pixel values in the weather example;
> are there more dynamic ways to define position such as "to the left of the Sun
> object" or "span the whole width, but offset by the height of this object from
> the bottom?"

We have an inbuilt "anchoring" system for exactly this kind of thing.  For
example, here we anchor the moon to the left of the sun:

Moon {
    anchors.right: TheSun.left
}

and here we create a solar eclipse:

Moon {
    anchors.centeredIn: TheSun
}

We're currently still working on getting the anchors and the animation
system to work seamlessly together in every case, which is probably why the
weather example doesn't use them everywhere.

> * how does scaling work? e.g. if i want an item in the interface to grow
> smaller when the container it's in grows smaller (think "layout like"), how
> does one achieve that?

Layouting is supported, although as you've identified we have focused mostly
on fixed screen sizes.  We have vertical, horizontal and grid layouts as
well as the builtin "anchoring" system mentioned above.  Hopefully you'll
eventually be able to use any custom Qt layouts you have written.

Here's a simple example of two rectangles in a horizontal layout.

HorizontalLayout {
    Rect { width: 100; height: 100; color: "blue"; }
    Rect { width: 200: height: 100; color: "red"; }
}

> * when it comes to the timelines and other animations, has any thought been
> put to how to map those to graphics APIs, e.g. OpenGL? in particular, with
> this high level sort of language it would be absolutely great to be able to
> determine what can be paralellized and what can't and then use that
> information in the painting layer if that information can be taken advantage
> of

This has been the promise of every "declarative UI" solution ever conceived.
Unfortunately, none have really delivered on it.  I, too, hope that we can
take advantage of the additional context available and automagically
optimize the graphics stack.  This technology is still new, so we'll have to
wait and see what we can do.

> * when it comes to GUI editors for this language, how do you see timelining to
> be handled? will the GUI editor need to parse through the existing definitions
> and assemble timelines itself or is there a nice introspection API that can be
> used outside of actually running the resulting interface?

A visual editor is a big part of what we want to enable.  Currently there's
no simple introspection API, so there's every chance that we'll have to make
some big changes before a final release to ensure that the GUI editing
experience is good.  Fortunately there's a bunch of people looking into it
:)

> * is it possible to hook into and control things like the animation pipelines?
> in particular, we need the ability to do things like turn off all animations
> on demand so that an animation just skips from 0.0 to 1.0.

Our focus so far has been principally on "fixed configuration" hardware
where this sort of configurability isn't necessary.  Of course, this doesn't
sound like an overly complex change.  Internally we use Qt's animation API
for all this stuff, so it might even happen automatically if the animation
API gains that sort of functionality.

Cheers,

Aaron