kinetic-declarative plasma integration

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Wed May 13 14:05:40 CEST 2009

On Wednesday 13 May 2009, Alan Alpert wrote:
> Hi Plasma devs,
>
> Those of you following Qt Labs closely will have heard about Qt Kinetic's
> Declarative UI
> http://labs.trolltech.com/blogs/2009/05/13/qt-declarative-ui/ . As
> Declarative UI is targeted towards enhancing the same sorts of applications
> as Plasma, plasma integration is a good real-world fit. So we've throw
> something together (it's in playground/base/plasma/kinetic-declarative) and
> hope that it might be useful in your plans to add Netbook and media center
> components; declarative UI is designed to help create embedded device style
> UIs! The Plasma integration we've done allows plasmoids to be written
> exclusively in QML, or in conjunction with C++. I'll let the blog posting
> handle all the riveting details on Declarative UI itself, and focus on
> providing more technical details about the plasma integration we've done.

taking a quick look rigt now, i still didn't understood whell the whole thing,
but i have some (maybe naive) questions:
when the items are declared, like in the dial example with
Item {
    property real value : 0

    width: 210; height: 210
etc etc..

what happens behind the scenes? does a real widget get created? qwidget?
qgraphicswidget?
so, as far i understood from your message is still not possible to use plasma
widgets, but will it be possible in the future? (so defining for instance a
Plasma::Pushbutton in qml syntax..)
what i think we would need is defining uis using our widgets in this way,
keeping them reachable from eventual c++ (or other bindings) code
and also the layouting information (how it does move/resize/update the
widgetS?  it uses qgraphicslayouts?)

those are the things i'm wondering after a quick look, after playing a little
bit with it probably i will have more meaningful ones :)

Cheers,
Marco Martin