Device Notifier - Western Digital USB drive not recognised

Mr Fixit wamrfixit at hotmail.com
Wed May 6 18:24:34 CEST 2009

I'm not sure if this is an openSUSE problem or a KDE4 problem, so please excuse me if I have posted in the wrong area.

Since I updated to KDE4.2.2 my external USB drive no longer shows up in device notifier when I plug it in.

CDs and other USB memory sticks work perfectly, but not my USB drive.

The drive appears in Dolphin's list, and once I have clicked on it in Dolphin and entered the LUKS password, it then appears in the device notifier list.

The drive has only 1 partition, it is an encrypted (LUKS) Reiser partition if that makes any difference.

Another odd thing is that the drive automatically unmounts itself after use, ie I watch a movie from the drive, then when the movie is finished, the drive is automatically unmounted.  Even though I still have an open Dolphin window on the drive.

The device notifier plasmoid functioned normally before I updated from KDE 4.1 to 4.2.2.

Details:

KDE version 4.2.2 (KDE 4.2.2) "release 114"
openSUSE 11.1 64 bit (plain KDE4.1 installed version updated to KDE 4.2.2)Western Digital "MyBook" 1tg USB hard drive, lsusb shows - Bus 001 Device 007: ID 1058:1100 Western Digital Technologies, Inc.
HP dv6645 Laptop
Kernel - 2.6.27.21-0.1-default

If you need anymore details, please ask as I am more than willing to help out if I can.

Thankyou.