Google Summer of Code

Александр Аргутин alex.argutin at gmail.com
Tue Mar 31 18:03:24 CEST 2009

*Good morning/day/night, Plasma team!*

*            My name is Alexander Argutin and I’m a 3-d grade student of
South Ural State University in Chelyabinsk, Russian Federation. I’m writing
you a letter because I found interesting an idea of the GSoC, so I would
like to take this chance. Why so late?)) Maybe because is too late and short
summer in Russia)*

*According to the Application template on a site, every GSoC student
candidate should give info about himself and his proposed project. Here it
is:*

*Name: **Alexander Argutin*

*Email Address: **Alex dot Argutin at gmail dot com*

*Freenode IRC Nick: **Hornman*

 *Location (City, Country and/or Time Zone): **Chelyabinsk, Russian
Federation, GMT +5:00 (Yekaterinburg)*

*Proposal Name:* New Widget Explorer (from ideas list)**

*Motivation for Proposal / Goal:** What differs developers and users?
…except their abilities of coding)... Developers know what they want from
the computer and applications. And that’s why there is a problem for
developers – how to create soft that will explain user what does he
want. **Today
developers have all equipment to do it: *translucent widgets of a
streamline, animated effects of soft light and shadow, reflexions etc...
There are no more boundaries of a desktop, no more statics, no more obstacles
for understanding between a user and a computer.

*This project is a step to* a lightweight widget-oriented UI concept. Main
goal is to bring a visitor to a widget-library, to let him make a choice
easily and to make him understand that all his dreams are true and most of
his problems will be solved easily by doing a few clicks...

 *Implementation Details:*

 Developing Phases:

*Phase 0 (5%):* Common architecture building, learning technologies, asking
questions.

This step brings knowledge about KDE and Plasma environment, structures of
an application and its basic functional blocks. The most general questions
concerning architecture, and concerning realization are being asked to the
mentor at this stage.

On this step application will be divided on such blocks as:

-          Search Block

SB will solve problems of looking for a widget, sorting widgets and rating
explosion.

-          View block

VB will solve problems of easy and comfortable UI with a controller
functions (MVC scheme)

-          Adoption block

AB will be the most capacious and also will be divided. It will solve
problems of widget support, placing, install and launch.

*Phase 1 (20%):* Designing UI and usability analysis

This stage assumes designing of the UI according to the standards of
usability, graphic effects, and the whole application view. This stage comes
at the beginning of the development because the design is one of the
most significant
parts of this project.

*Phase 2 (10%):* UML architecture building, creating a kernel concept

This phase consists from construction of diagrams of precedents, classes and
logic design of a product. Main objective of this stage is working out of
the flexible architecture, supporting all predictable widgets and third
party services.

*Phase 4 (30%):* Designing interfaces, business-logic and project features

*Phase 3 (45%):* Developing main project blocks prototypes

Phase of main coding and algorithmization.

*Phase 4 (60%):* Assembling main blocks. Beta

*Phase 5 (70%):* Beta-testing and cleaning bug-reports

This stage means removing all bugs and holes found in a project.

*Phase 7 (85%): *Ending development

Finishing main parts, realization of the third party widgets, trying
different platforms, and little features realisation.

*Phase 8 (100%):* Release

*Tentative Timeline:** If the work will be started *at the first days of
April, Beta version will be expected in the first decade of June. If
succeeds, all the work will be done till the end of July – beginning of
August.

*Do you have other obligations from late May to early August (school, work,
etc.)?*:

I will have to pass the exams at the end of June. That’s all serious plans
for this time if the project will live. I don’t think my study will affect
my work on project or vice versa, because I study at university only
perfectly well.

*About Me (let us know who you are!): **F*irst of all I’m a student. And I
like this condition because it feels cool to be a student! =) I like
computers and all things linked to them: gadgets, devices, coding, gaming,
business-modeling, even the programming of microprocessors in assembler
language... Once I’ve chosen this path I’ve never felt sorry about it. Why?
Of course because it’s future! Unfortunately, there is no magic in our world
like in games, but there is a technology, so isn’t it a power? So, my heart
is in the IT sphere…)

There are many things I can tell about myself. I like creative activities
and respect people who is engaged in them. That’s why I like music and
poetry.

What about my own future? I don’t think it’s predictable, but I always try
to make it happy.

*Yours faithfully, Alexander.*