GSoC: Educational layout

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Fri Mar 27 15:53:07 CET 2009

Hello Lauri,

Some suggestions for improving your proposal:

Currently your application is a bit vague. You're not telling much more about
what you're trying to accomplish then what's on the GSoC ideas page. I'd
suggest you include some more specifics, maybe some simple mockups since it is
a rather GUI oriented project.
Also, you say that you wanted to start in python and later make them C++
applets. Why? Actually we want to have more scripted plasmoids, since scripted
plasmoids have some significant advantages above binary ones, the most
important one being that they can be installed through GHNS.
On the network communication part: I've made a GSoC proposal myself about
network transparency in plasma:
http://socghop.appspot.com/student_proposal/show/google/gsoc2009/scheepmaker/t123809085405
If both my proposal and the educational layout get picked, we should definitely
discuss the networking part. It's always nice to have somebody else using wip
api so it becomes clear what the pain points are. Also be aware of the work
Kevin Ottens is doing on a library that will make it easy to use services. It
will get an api very similar to QDBus, and uses JOLIE.

good luck!

Regards,
Rob