Review Request: Backport multihead fixes

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 24 23:46:01 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009, Guillaume Pothier wrote:
> On Mon, Mar 23, 2009 at 3:13 PM, Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> > On Monday 23 March 2009, Guillaume Pothier wrote:
> > > Hi, not sure it is related, but since a few days I've notived that I
> > > "loose" the panel when I go from two monitors to one. I have the panel
> > > on the external monitor, and it used to be that when I unconfigured
> > > the external monitor, the panel would move to the main monitor, and
> > > would go back to the external monitor when it is plugged back in.
> > > Since a few days (or maybe weeks), when I unconfigure the external
> > > monitor I simply loose the panel (but it reappears when I plug the
> > > external monitor back in).
> >
> > i assume that's because kephal is keeing the monitor #s consistent now,
> > and so the panel doesn't move around?
>
> What do you mean by consistent?

previously, the screen #s might change around. so the internal screen might be
0 until you plug in another monitor and then it might switch around and become
1. how fun, huh?

> > if you move it to the main monitor, does it move to the external monitor
> > automatically when you plug it in?
>
> No, it stays on the main monitor, which seems the right thing to do.

ok, so then monitor affinity is working as it is supposed to and the panel is
just sitting there waiting for the screen to appear again.

the question becomes: do we want to introduce some logic (which will likely
get a bit complex) to make things work differently?

humru othro a kohnu se