Another Summer of Code proposal (desktop dock)

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Mar 24 23:43:30 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009, Fábio Firmo wrote:
> Ok, so the main question is: Will be the dock a containment or a applet,
> and why?

Containment (which is actually a subclass of Applet); why? because it will
contain and lay out other items/widgets and probably wants to have a whole
panel to itself including painting the background.

> Making it a different containment will make a separation of the tradional
> panel and the dock more clear (as opposed to the new Windows 7 bar), and
> will possibly make the implementation easier (i'm thinking about parabolic
> zooming right know).

right

> The downside seems to be that every plasmoid (clocks,
> etc) needs a "third context mode": the desktop, the panel and the dock.

not at all. and the "modes" are called Form Factors, which currently are:
Planar, Horizontal, Vertical and MediaCenter.

the dock containment would simply state how big and where the widget should
be. what would plasmoids need to do differently on a dock in your mind?

> This will bring more complexity to the plasmoid makers, and I cannot see
> any diferences between a clock in a panel and a clock in a dock.

me neither. so the widget shouldn't need to know. the dock would simply
provide Horizontal and Vertical form factors as all panels do.

> I already started writing the proposal. There will be a first version
> tomorrow for your review.

i look forward to seeing it.

humru othro a kohnu se