Clock/Calendar bug (was Plasma::PopupApplet API change proposal)

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic at gmail.com
Tue Mar 24 20:41:12 CET 2009

> that's actually partly the definition of "passive", and you can get at this
> API-wise by using KWindowSystem (which is what PopupApplet is doing
Maybe I haven't explained myself. Passive window is a window that is not
managed by the window manager, that is, it can not have the focus. Is that
true?

The current implementation of automatic hiding relies on the window losing the
focus. The side effect, in this case, is that passive windows don't get the
auto-hide feature since they never have the focus, so they are not able to
lose it.

And that is OK.

But, the only way [ATM] to make a PopupApplet /persistent/ is to make it
passive thus making it unable to receive focus.

So, instead of having something like setCloseOnLostFocus(bool value) which
would do just that, the [libplasma] user needs to make the pop-up passive thus
inducing the unwanted side-effect.

The use cases for the various states follow:
Format:
passive      auto-close      applet
true            /                     notifications
false           false               calendar, extenders that need focus
false           true                device notifier

We have three different use-cases, but only two options currently.

Cheerio!