dropping content onto Plasma

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Tue Mar 24 16:39:49 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 14:30:41 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Tuesday 24 March 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> > > The above procedure works nicely for local content, such as files.
> > > URL's are a special kind of draggable content though. As far as I
> > > understand, a URL doesn't have a mimetype attached, it's either data +
> > > mimetype (+ other metainformation) or simply a URL.
> >
> > hmm i don't see any ways beside on dropevent on the containment trying to
> > download the url and see what it does contain (for http the header of the
> > response would suffice, for other urls like akonadi: i have no idea)
>
> for urls like akonadi and other similar special protocols we could offer a
> "protocol interpreter" that would decide what the content is by looking at
> the url.

It *might* work, but akonadi URLs don't necessarily contain the type of the
data (see the type parameter in my email is empty). So it doesn't really help
a lot, although can help in some cases and I can probably the apps that don't
provide the type in the URL fixed.

> obviously, this is pretty hard with something like http, but i
> hope and imagine that akonadi urls are well formed and can be deduced as to
> their content by just looking at the url.

Yeah, partly. The problem is more general though ...

> we don't want to build these into
> plasma, obviously, so something in kdelibs (KMimeType?) or piggybacking on
> the applet plugin system might be workable ...

I'll have a look at KMimeType. What do you mean by piggybacking on the applet
plugin system?
--
sebas