dropping content onto Plasma

Dominik Haumann dhdev at gmx.de
Tue Mar 24 15:24:11 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009, Sebastian Kügler wrote:
> The short version
>
> Is there a way to offer plasma applet creation based on mimetypes of
> content dropped onto Plasma also for URLS?
>
> [...]
>
> I'd like to have this fine mechanism also working URLs and be a bit
> smarter about that. I'm not sure about possible solutions, though.
> Guessing based on the dropped content would work for most cases (akonadi:
> as protocol is clear), but might be a bit tedious (impossible) to figure
> out for every mimetype in the world (especially if you start doing it
> based on file extensions). Probing mimetypes of remote files sounds icky
> to me as well. Maybe there is some code for this problem in KDE already?

KProtocolInfo [1] comes to my mind, which is used (iirc) by e.g. Konqueror
(Dolphin?) to determine whether a url is listable (in terms of file
listings), readable, etc. ...but this sounds as if you need much more.

Dominik

[1] http://api.kde.org/4.x-api/kdelibs-apidocs/kdecore/html/classKProtocolInfo.html