Clock/Calendar bug (was Plasma::PopupApplet API change proposal)

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Tue Mar 24 14:02:13 CET 2009

On Tuesday 24 March 2009 12:37:18 Ivan Čukić wrote:
> When a dialog is passive, it can only receive keyboard input when its
> parent application has the focus.
>
> This means that the text-box in the calendar (the clock-pop-out-calendar,
> not the calendar applet) meant for entering the date works only when the
> plasma application has the focus.

Hmm, I think the calendar shouldn't be a passive popup at all. The possibility
to make the popup passive was added mainly for notification type popups: mainly
so they won't steal your focus, and are as unobtrusive as possible. The
calendar only opens when the user wants to, in which case passive popup isn't
necessary at all.

> I suppose that this also applies to all extender-based applets. (the
> similar issue was discussed earlier - panels needing the input focus, but
> it is a different matter)
>
> Making extenders to be active (non-passive) windows is problematic since it
> would (with the current implementation) induce closing the popups when they
> lose the focus, which is not desired (at least not for notifications).

Passive or not is set on PopupApplet, not extenders (through setPassivePopup).
I'd suggest only using passive popups for notification type applets. I'm not
sure why setPassivePopup(true) is called in libplasmaclock.

Regards,
Rob