another update on the systray and tiny api review

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 15:25:34 CET 2009

Hi all,
in my effor of flooding the list with updates on the systemtray stuff, this is
an update on the status of the systray applet and the support of the new
protocol:

On Monday 23 March 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> soo, recappig on the current status:
>
> movies are now supported (it is a vector of images that travels over dbus)
> when the icon status is needsattention if a movie is set is displayed this
> one, otherwise it blinks with the icon set by attentionIcon.
> (eh, would be really cool to have an unique timer for both animating and
> blinking, animator doesn't have support for eternal animations, hmm)

the applet now supports animations and blinking on notifications
i've reworked taskarea a bit, to make possible the following thing:
when an icon becomes in AttentionNeeded state it gets moved in the last area
together the info icon, to make it possible i've splitted the 3 areas first
normal and last in 3 distinct compactLayouts, this makes easier to migrate
icons from one part to another and as a bonus makes the code way more clear,
solving also some old layouting problems (closed some bugs, yay!)

it remains to decide the behaviour for the "passive" icons, i think they
should be hidden. (use case: don't want to see the nepomuk icon when idle,
when indexing it could show itself to quickly give a reason why the pc has
suddenly become sluggish :p)
so would be necessary an api that a Task implementation can use to say it
wants to be hidden (that the systemtray could or could not respect)
like bool hiddenHint(), that taskarea would use to manipulate d->hiddenTypes

sounds sane?

Cheers,
Marco Martin