Hello, announce the move to kdereview of an applet

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Sun Mar 22 22:58:13 CET 2009

On March 22, 2009 12:59:05 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 22 March 2009, Wang Hoi wrote:
> > Moved to kdereview/plasma/applets/
>
> forwarding this to where it belongs: plasma-devel@ ...
>
> > It's mainly an applet for input methods, so that persons use difference
> > input methods can share the same user interface and the unified
> > systemsettings input method configure integration.
> > And also include a standalone application and a control module for
> > systemsettings now.
> >
> > Its main features:
> >
> > * Multiple backend support, currently support SCIM and IBus(1.1.0+
> > version)
>
> very nice! i wonder if its possible to set up the backends automatically
> for users? or is this really something the distributions need to take care
> of for us?

I don't know if things have changed, but it wasn't something distros were
taking care of in 2007. on kubuntu I got scim (and later sKim) working by
installing a bunch of packages that looked like they might be related, and
editing several config files based on instructiions I found online (it took
several tries to figure out which set of instructions would work for me). how I
got it to autostart as well I *still* don't understand... and I think it was
around the time of the 4.0 release that I tried to make it work in kde4 but
gave up.

I'm not sure if it's something a mere applet can set up for users, though - it
requires env vars to be set, which I did with a script in .kde/env/

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com