Review Request: kdebase runner syntax

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sat Mar 21 20:37:53 CET 2009

On Saturday 21 March 2009, Dario Freddi wrote:
> Another thing: we shouldn't let :q: always translate to "search term": for
> example, the powerdevil runner lets you enter screen brightness
> <brightness>, and having the user read "screen brightness <search term>"
> can be confusing.
>
> Apart from PowerDevil, each runner that triggers an action with a parameter
> would actually be affected. We should give developers the possibility to
> set their own replacement for "search term", in case it is needed.

this would be per-syntax, so i could add a searchTermDescription(const
QString&) that would then be used to replace :q:

the main reason for having ":q:" instead of just something completely free-
form is to:

* ensure people put something there (structure discourages sloppiness)

* to be able to programatically figure out which runners take just keywords or
actual search terms (useful for possible eventual prediction/control of which
runners to launch using the syntax entries)

it might also be interesting to note what kind of information is in the search
term .. numbers, words, etc?

> And, purely for the api, maybe syntax()->syntaxes(), since it returns a
> QList.

good point.

> We could eventually provide an addSyntaxes(QList syntaxes); I don't
> know if it could be of any use.

so far i haven't really found any use for such a thing, though we could add it
easily enough.

oh, i also need to add a bunch of @since 4.3 to the apidox as well.

humru othro a kohnu se