Comments on cool plasmoid popup animations

Lucas Murray lmurray at undefinedfire.com
Thu Mar 19 17:12:36 CET 2009

On Thu, Mar 19, 2009 at 8:08 PM, Marco Martin <notmart at gmail.com> wrote:
> it could be yeah, perhaps for popups.. when the sliding animation takes place
> all the window slides or is cutted away? (like, wouldn't wantthe popups being
> visible under the panel when they're animating)

The effect would be purely cosmetic, it wouldn't change window orders or anything and can be applied on a per-window basis. You can choose the direction that the window is appearing from and the duration but that's all I think it would do.

I guess the atom could also define a starting origin that it would be clipped at to prevent popups from being displayed the panel. Originally I had thought of just using the screen edge but instead that can be just a default.

> the effect you talked about could be used to animate the auto hide panels, so
> the shadow could follow the window in a correct way i think?

The main problem with the shadows is only displaying them on the desktop and not application windows. There is also the case of actually telling KWin what shadow texture to display (I assume the default shadow isn't what you want?). Other than that however the effect can solve the smooth shadow-friendly animation of panel hiding as everything is handled by KWin (The panel would just need to unmap itself to trigger it).

--

Lucas Murray :: http://www.undefinedfire.com
GPG Fingerprint: 0B88 499E 3F5B 1405 D952  258A AD90 B4F5 90B6 3534