Comments on cool plasmoid popup animations

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Mar 18 20:40:57 CET 2009

On Wednesday 18 March 2009, Jud Craft wrote:
> Sorry, the effect...it's that little window that has the "resize,
> delete, configure" buttons for each plasmoid (not sure what to call
> that window, I just say 'plasmoid utility popup' - PUP, tongue in

ah, that one. yeah, that would require some support from a compositing window
manager (e.g. kwin). it would be possible to emulate this with resizing and
moving the window, but it wouldn't be perfect and would have really bad
performance.

the challenge with the compositing window manager support is that we'd need
some way of marking these windows as to be animated and from what location.

we can do this with the applet handles easily because all of that is done by
plasma on the canvas.

so .. probably doable, but a lot of work and would include modifications to
both libplasma and kwin.

humru othro a kohnu se