Project proposal for gsoc

Marco Martin notmart at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 12:00:35 CET 2009

2009/3/16 André Braga <abbraga at gmail.com>:
> Hi,
> I'm André Braga, a computer science student at the Federal University of
> Pernambuco (http://www.cin.ufpe.br/english/), currently on my last term.
> I've helped organizing a talk Artur Souza's gave here about the GSOC and so
> I became aware of the ideas for KDE projects.
> I got interested in some of them and particulary for the gsoc I would like
> to develop the "Simple Media Center components". Other projects have also
> interested me (like the Kalzium beautification with Plasma [are these guys
> in this list?] and the Plasmate project), but I've chosen this one due to my
> background.
> In my last job, I've worked on the development of a Media Center software,
> called SoapBox, for the Windows Media Center (:P ok, I can see the sparks
> already! one screenshot  and another), which seems to look like a lot with
> this proposed one. It used a language called MCML, communicating with a
> Python server.
it's great that this project got so much attention (so now there are 4
people right now interested in it)
and your great experience would be really valuable (eh, you could more
mentor us on the argument than the opposite :p)
what is a bit sad (and i hope the other dudes are reading the ml too)
is that we will get ton of proposals for this one and other valid
ideas won't get any.

i know this looks very intriguing (nuno mockups are toooooo pretty :p)
but everyone interested on that could perhaps consider also the other
ideas on techbase.
that said i do want proposals on this project because is cool, but i
also think more the proposals are various the better is
(i'm saying this to everyone interested in, so you, alediaferia,
dotevo and elv1313, using the irc terminology :p)

if everybody really wants it well, just everybody write a proposal,
but is a bit sad that would automatically mean that most will get axed
for sure, rather than having a bit more chance each :)

Cheers,
Marco Martin