[GSoC] Ecucational Layout and/or New Widget Explorer

Ana Cecília Martins Barbosa anaceciliamb at gmail.com
Tue Mar 17 00:23:44 CET 2009

Hello everyone,

My name is Ana Cecília and I'm a 7th semester Computer Science student at
the Center of Informatics of Federal University of Pernambuco - Brazil -
http://www.cin.ufpe.br/english/.

Last month, me and my colleagues were able to bring Artur (aka Morpheuz) to
the Center of Informatics to a talk about the Google Summer of Code and the
KDE/Plasma project - and I watched the lecture myself. I got pretty
interested in participating of the gsoc and particulary with the Plasma
team.

Looking at the Plasma ideas for this year, I got very excited about
the *Educational
Layout* project, as well as the *New Widget Explorer*. My particular and
most exciting wish was to be able to participate of the Educational Layout
project due to the huge user centered design study requirement - which is
one of my study areas. I've been working for 6 months now at the User
Experience and Digital Artefacts Design Research Lab (a partnership
University/INdT) and I've always have had interest in mixing up desing +
informatics - that's why my interest in those projects, where the user
interaction is focus.

Also, last year I attended to a course called Advanced Topics on User
Interfaces and developed a 6 month project related to music education for
children. It was great and I was able to gather a bunch of information about
children's life and interaction needed on education :)

About my development skills, I'm a C++ programmer since the first year at
university, and I'm also a C programmer, Python, Java, Actionscript,
Processing.

That would be nice to get to know the possible mentors for these projects! I
don't know how this works, but are the projects "free" yet?

I would be very thankful if I had some help on writing my proposal and also
I'd like your opinion about my case. Soon I'll be writing on this thread
about my current ideas about both projects (maybe some mockups :P) :)

thanks,

--
Ana Cecília Martins