How to display the insert index when sorting manually (Tasks applet)

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Mon Mar 16 20:38:15 CET 2009

On Monday 16 March 2009 18:14:33 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> On Sunday 15 March 2009, Christian Mollekopf wrote:
> > Therefore i suggest using a cursor like bar to display the insert index.
>
> probably much easier would be to simply adjust the drawing of the item
> itself rather than inserting a whole new item and managing the layout
> issues.
>
> so if this is a "regular" item:
>
> [ icon title ]
>
> a spacer drop would be:
>
> [ ] [icontitle]

But how would this look with a vertical taskbar?

> the layout would still see it as one item because, well, it would be.
>
> the beauty of this approach is:
>
> * you don't need to coordinate multiple items, each AbstractTaskItem just
> handles its own dragEnter/dragHover/dragLeave events
>
> * the layout is completely uninvolved in the process

Currently the whole logic is in taskGroupItem, so only expanded tasks accept
the drag*events.

I think i will stick to displaying  a bar on the insert index if there aren't
any objections. It's easy enough to implement, looks neat, and is the best
from the usability pov as i think.
If you need an example how such a bar could look, have a look at opera's tab
sorting (I will make a fancier one than plain black, of course =).

Regards,

Christian