Ideas on improving the manual grouping and sorting in the tasks applet

Christian Mollekopf chrigi_1 at fastmail.fm
Sun Mar 8 17:02:25 CET 2009

Hi,

i thought about improving the grouping and sorting and was wondering if this
sound like a good idea =)

In order to remove the current grouping key (alt) i thought it would be nice
if there was some visual feedback when dragging tasks  around in the taskbar.

For grouping one would have to drag a item A over the middle two quarter of
another item B (group or taskitem). The item B would then be highlighted to
indicate that item A is grouped with item B.  On drop the grouping is
executed.

For sorting one would have to hit the outer quarters and the feedback would be
a highlighted (glowing) bar displayed between the tasks.

So in a horizontal applet the hitboxes would look like this (in case it's not
yet clear ;-)

	SGGS|SGGS|SGGS|SGGS

When only sorting OR grouping is manual we can of course take the whloe item
as hitbox (or the two halfs for sorting)

I'm not quite sure if this very convenient with vertical taskbars, but i think
it should work at least more or less.

Tell me if you have any better ideas.

Regards,

Christian