Notifications Theming

Rob Scheepmaker r.scheepmaker at student.utwente.nl
Fri Mar 6 16:33:08 CET 2009

On Friday 06 March 2009 15:51:53 Trever Fischer wrote:
> I'm looking for a way to theme notifications and jobs as handled by the
> system tray. From what I can tell, they all use plasma's Extender class.
> Are there any plans to, erm, extend the Extender class and provide some
> custom SVG elements for notifications? Idealy, I'd like to give them some
> fancy animations and transparency, but I don't want to jump right in and
> clobber anyone else's plans.

The look of extenders can be modified by adding the extender-dragger.svgz and
extender-background.svgz to your plasma theme. This provides the general
extender look (the titlebar (dragbar) and the background. The progress bar of
the jobs can be themed through widgets/bar_meter_horizontal.svgz. Buttons on
notifications can be themed through widgets/button.svgz. These theming
capabilities should be enough for most things, but if there are certain
theming capabilities you still miss, feel free to discuss them here.
You mentioned wanting animations and transparency. Animations is not really up
to the theme, and will be provided, hopefully for KDE 4.3. Kinetic will make
this a lot easier. It's still a work in progress though.
Transparency is already possible: make the dialog background transparent, and
extender-background too, and you'll have transparent notifications.

Regards,
Rob