applet browser: laying out the applet icons

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jun 29 01:27:49 CEST 2009

hi...

(last one for now ... )

so, next up: the layout of the applet icons.

right now they are in a 2D grid. if they are in a linear list then the eye can
traverse in one direction only, but there are bigger wins to be had!

with a linear listing we can then take this widget and put it _right inside_
the PanelController widget. so when the user clicks "Add Widget" in the panel
they get the PanelController but with your interface in it. it becomes _very_
clear what's going on to the user and we avoid the "panel view goes away
unexpectedly because i click 'Add Widgets'".

for the desktop, we can just throw up a very simple panel style widget at the
bottom of the screen .. if there's a panel down there, it would even pop up
the panel controller for that panel in add widgets mode. if there is no panel
down there, just throw up this custom widget. this is trivial work and, again,
something i or someone like me can put in place for you so you can continue to
concentrate on the Add Widgets interface instead of learning how the plasma-
desktop shell is put together ;)

this will also work nicely in a netbook interface, and i can even see it
working nicely on a small phone like interface where you can pick widgets to
run/activate by paging through such a list.

all the control "chrome" (search widget, category picker..) can appear above
this listing. the category picker will be the tricky bit, i think. but we can
discuss this more later (i think i'm already probably flooding you with input
here.. sorry :)

finally ... in the situation where we have multiple categories showing, i
think it would make sense to lump applets of similar categories together.

this would end up looking sth like:

Category 1 						Category 2
Applet Applet Applet Applet Applet     Applet Applet Applet

the category label would be done in KGlobalSettings::smallestReadableFont()
and the lines would obviously be the thin plasma lines we use everywhere.

the Applet is, probably obviously, the full AppletIconWidget

thoughts?
humru othro a kohnu se