Tokamak 3 - The organization begins

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Jun 26 12:50:20 CEST 2009

On Thursday 25 June 2009 10:58:56 Anne-Marie Mahfouf wrote:
> On Wednesday 24 June 2009 23:26:18 Mario Fux wrote:
> > Just a friendly reminder. The end of June/begin of July is near. Please
> > add yourself to:
> > http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/Tokamak3
> >
> > Aaron, Davide and Rob are already added.

I'm planning to come to, don't have internet right now, but I'll add myself
soon then.

> > Greets from Germany. Tomorrow I'll go to Berlin for the Linuxtag.
> > Mario

I've just met Mario on a train station in fact :-)

> I can't come, it's the beginning of the school year for the kids (little
> Clarisse joining her first year!)
> I'll also be away for most of July and August so if someone pops in (mail,
> IRC, Akademy,...) and wants to work on the Picture Frame, please encourage
> him!
> Things should be less frantic from September and will allow me a better
> involvement in KDE.

I've got a large-ish patch on my disk for the picture frame, it does the
following:

- converts all QImages to QPixmap (should perform much better) *1
- async loading of images on remote hosts using KIO
- fixes to artwork (default picture, for example)
- fixes for small sizes
- performance improvements (no setOpacity on QPainter, for example)

*1 It doesn't feel a lot faster, need to investigate

I'm not a 100% happy with it. While I think it'll qualify for 4.3, I'll not
push it into 4.3.0 since there are some small things yet to be sorted out.
Besides that, the whole patch is rather large, so it should be given some
review and testing.

Just to let you know in case someone wants to do more work, it'll likely
clash with what I have here. In that case, I can commit it to 4.4 already.
--
sebas