Plasma running on S60 device

Jani Hautakangas jani.hautakangas at elisanet.fi
Fri Jun 5 12:32:34 CEST 2009

Current version was  made with  shortcuts and hacks to get Plasma running
and proper installation package does not yet exist. Thus, I wouldn't like to
share current code yet. However would like to start "KDE on S60" -project.

In addition to KDE running on S60 I would like to see KDE evolving to support
touchable UI. Trend seems to be that there will be lots of S60 devices with a proper
capacitive touchscreens. By porting KDE to S60 we have a good opportunity to
start making KDE touchable and even add features something similar to Microsoft Surface.

 What should I do to get this project started? Who should I contact? It would
really nice if someone could walk me through to get this project up. I guess
that S60 port will have webpage of its own http://s60.kde.org like other ports
have their own. Eventually this project will be KDE for Symbian but since
Symbian Foundation is not yet properly running lets keep it KDE on S60. Finally when
we have KDE or parts of it up and running we can start pushing this upstream. I'm sure that
not every component is feasible for S60/Symbian but at least Plasma looks very promising.
 There is no guarantee that that this will ever fly but at least we can try.

Few crucial things are missing from S60/Symbian (and I'm sure there are still more)

	- CMake doesn't support Symbian. We must use QMake for now.

	- Qt for S60 doesn't support QtDBus. There are few alternatives for this:
		- Implement QtDBus for S60 (native or use LIW/AIW behind the scenes)
		- Use S60 LIW/AIW directly
		- Use upcoming Qt Service Framework if it is feasible
		- Beg QtSoftware to port QtDBus for S60

My employer Tieto http://www.tieto.com is willing to contribute/sponsor this project.
Tieto is among the leading Symbian R&D service providers for OEMs globally with up
to 1300 persons in Mobile Devices R&D globally.

Br,
 Jani