Plasma activities and Nepomuk

Ivan Čukić ivan.cukic+kde at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 17:17:32 CEST 2009

A.S. This is a multi-list message, so make sure you reply to both plasma-devel
and nepomuk-kde lists.

Hi all,

As you probably know, plasma has the concept of activities. This is something
that is supposed to become global concept, and not only plasma-local.

Use-cases:
 - When John switches to the /work/ activity, he wants the favourites in
Kickoff/KMenu/Lancelot/Raptor/... to be the applications related to work.
 - When Eric switches to the /internet/ activity, he wants the file open/save
dialogue to contain 'Downloads', 'Pictures' etc. folders in the places side-
panel.
 - Terry starts KDevelop to work on his project. The rest of the environment
switches to /kde development/ activity.

Ok, enough with examples.

Since the current activity is not only a plasma-thing, and could exist even
without plasma, we (plasma devs) decided it should be published through
nepomuk.

My question here is what is the best way to do it.

The most basic thing that comes to mind is a nepomuk resource, which the other
application listen to using the sopranoStatementAdded() signal in
SopranoModel.

The other approach (DanielW pointed it out) is something like the nepomuk
service example located in playground (/base/nepomuk-kde/usercontext/service/)

So, what is the best way to do this?

Cheerio,
Ivan