Pager config not working with vertical Panel

Richard Dale richard.j.dale at gmail.com
Tue Jul 28 17:00:36 CEST 2009

On Mon, Jul 27, 2009 at 8:47 PM, Aaron J. Seigo<aseigo at kde.org> wrote:
> On Monday 27 July 2009, Richard Dale wrote:
>> The Pager applet in the kde 4.3 branch doesn't work with a Panel
>> aligned vertically. The attached patch fixes the bug.
>
> does the patch on reviewboard fix this for you as well? see:
>
> http://reviewboard.kde.org/r/1124/
I've just tried that patch and it doesn't fix the config problem which
my patch was fixing.

I have four virtual desktops and a vertical panel on the right. If I
use the configure dialog to set the number of columns to two, it works
fine, and I have my four desktops in two rows and two columns. If I
set the number of columns to one, I end up with a single row of four
tiny desktops in four columns. The reviewboard patch doesn't change
this code in configAccepted() which is just wrong for vertical panels:

    if (m_rows != rows) {
        KConfigGroup globalcg = globalConfig();
        m_rows = rows;
        if (m_rows > m_desktopCount) {
            m_rows = m_desktopCount;
        }
        globalcg.writeEntry("rows", m_rows);
        changed = true;
    }

    if (changed) {
        configNeedsSaving();
        // force an update
        m_columns = 0;
        m_size = QSizeF(-1, -1);
        recalculateGeometry();
        recalculateWindowRects();
        update();
    }

It unconditionally sets 'm_columns' to 0, which is the very thing I
was changing when I used the config dialog with my vertical panel. I
also prefer my change at the beginning of recalculateGeometry() to the
one in the reviewboard patch.

Another problem which neither patch fixes is that sometimes (but not
always) my config of 1 column X 4 rows of desktops is truncated
vertically and I can only see slightly more than the first desktop,
although there is plenty of room in my panel to show all four.

--Richard