containing plasmoid crashes

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Jul 27 17:12:48 CEST 2009

On Saturday 25 July 2009 11:40:52 Bogdan Bivolaru wrote:
> Hello guys,
>
> I'm writing to you because I'd like to make a suggestion to make a
> containment for errors around each plasmoid, so that when one crashes, it
> doesn't take the whole plasma environment with it.
>
> For example, I had a problem with KDE Network Manager plasmoid crashing and
> taking with it the whole plasma-desktop process before displaying anything.

I might add that the networkmanager plasmoid has never been released, it's still in
playground and as such *expected* to be unstable.

I know that at least Kubuntu ships it, and I've already asked them not to ship it
until we are actually confident that it's not totally in flux (which it is right
now). I'm CC:ing kubuntu-devel here, to illustrate why I'd rather not see it shipped
until further notice, and certainly not as part of the default install.

really, the Right Thing To Do is: DO NOT RUN UNSTABLE CODE (unless you want to help
developing it ;-)).

--
sebas