Kickoff Apps Regoranization

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jul 23 06:16:29 CEST 2009

On Tuesday 21 July 2009, Celeste Lyn Paul wrote:
> I had some questions about the new apps organization in Kickoff.

i don't think this has anything to do with kickoff specifically, it just shows
whatever the menu structure is advertised as.

> Previously, applications were organized in a single top-level category.
> Now, applications are organized under 2 levels of categories. I was
> wondering what prompted the change? The only documentation I've found is
> here which includes criticisms.
>
> http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/AppsMenuReorganization

i really don't even remember any discussion of this on plasma-devel, and i
really don't want to be the maintainer of the app menu organization (which is
not just a plasma thing, but something that affects all desktop shells which
show kde4 apps in their menu)

as such, i really don't care what happens to it (other than i'd like it to be
good :)

> A while back, Kubuntu had first proposed and provided a patch for a single
> level of categorization and it was accepted by upstream

which upstream? kde?

> (I wish one day you
> would accept our other Kickoff patches too).

have they been posted to reviewboard.kde.org?

humru othro a kohnu se