Reworking the kwin tabbox

Diego Moya turingt at gmail.com
Fri Jul 17 16:30:13 CEST 2009

2009/7/16 Martin Gräßlin <kde at martin-graesslin.com>:
> My idea is that with alt+tab it should work as ever known. But that it is not
> required to keep alt pressed (keeping it pressed shouldn't harm).

There's a way to achieve that goal without breaking the normal alt+tab
quasimode behavior.

Hold alt + tab as many times as required + release tab = change window
(same behavior)

Hold alt + tab + press cursor key + release tab = make tabbox
persistent. From now on, pressing tab or cursor arrows navigates the
window list normally, and Enter is required to close the tabbox and
open the selected window.

You can add as many extra keys as desired after the initia alt+tab, to
free the quasimode and "trap" the window for providing additional
functions.

For example, hold alt + tab + s + release tab, could activate a
"search" function among the name (or content!) of the open windows.
Or: hold alt + tab + k + release tab, could be used as the trigger key
for the krunner-like extra functions.