zui, windows, desktops

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Fri Jul 17 22:01:03 CEST 2009

On Thursday 16 July 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Thursday 16 July 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > * the window group overview could include an Activities overview as well.
> > the visual will help explain this but for now imagine a strip at the top
> > of the screen showing the existing Activities: a name above and a
> > shrunken version of the Activity below; switching would be moving which
> > activity is in the center, e.g. by scrolling through them or clicking on
> > one. so there would be a horizontal stripe of activity choices sitting
> > atop a set of horizontal window groupings, keeping things visually
> > distinct so they don't become overly confusing?
>
> i've read this point several times and still don't have a clear idea, yes a
> photo would be appreciated :)

will do :) we found a place to move into the other day, so i'll be back to
working more regularly again next week, and i'll catch up with this point (and
others) then.

> > * arrange the desktop containments on the corona in a horizontal strip,
> > one row per screen
>
> hmm, it wouldn't be possible to switch a containment between screen so?
> not being able to access an old activity just bcause at the moment i don't
> have a screen around doesn't seem too convenient?

i think we should be able to make it possible to do so, though i don't know if
it would be completely "seamless" in that one would probably have to select a
"other Acitivities" button or some such thing. right now it's already pretty
confusing, however, since all screens and all desktops are scattered in the
same layout making it confusing to people why they can't select or remove a
certain activity.

> or when a screen is disconnectedeverything is closed, saved and can be
> loaded from everywhere?

this is certainly a possibility, as in Chani's proposal. as long as people
don't expect those activities to remain "live" (which seems like quite a
corner case imo) then we should be fine with just not loading activities for
which their associated screen does not exist.

> > * we must publish the activity stuff live in nepomuk so that applications
> > can adjust their content and play along too
>
> question i'm wondering since a bit: does nepomuk has some support of the
> Context concept or is it something still to come?

yes and no. there's a start of an ontology for this, and otherwise it's
completely ready for it. all that's needed is to commit to the Context
ontology, which was something i started working on with the nepomuk team, but
got distracted as they went off into more and more theoretical stuff. i need
to see if they have come up with anything in the meantime.

humru othro a kohnu se