Reworking the kwin tabbox

Lucas Murray lmurray at undefinedfire.com
Fri Jul 17 04:14:17 CEST 2009

On Thu, Jul 16, 2009 at 10:59 PM, Martin Gräßlin<kde at martin-graesslin.com> wrote:
>  * Keyboard grab makes it impossible to use the search in present windows
> effect

http://www.undefinedfire.com/kde/alttabbing-lots-windows-quickly/

As it's now possible to deactivate effects with their specified shortcut I suppose doing this in KDE 4.3 gives you the behaviour you want to try out?

>  * Why do we have to hold the alt key while switching? Can't we break with the
> concept? (get rid of the keyboard grab) <- here I need input from the
> usability experts. Would it be ok to break with such a concept although all
> other plattforms use it? What could be a better solution than pressing alt?
> When we break how can we provide a easy "migration path" for our users?

Don't, under any circumstances, change the default behaviour of alt+tab. It's been around since Windows 1.0 in 1985, has been implemented in all major graphical environments and has been pretty much hard-coded into a large portion of people that have used a computer since. If you want a new way of switching windows use something like meta+tab.

As several others have mentioned the release of the alt key indicates the end of the switch. That event unfortunately requires a passive key grab to receive.

--

Lucas Murray :: http://www.undefinedfire.com
GPG Fingerprint: 0B88 499E 3F5B 1405 D952  258A AD90 B4F5 90B6 3534