not matching Catalog/Export macro names in playground/base

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jul 15 06:59:22 CEST 2009

On Monday 13 July 2009, Burkhard Lück wrote:
> - who will remember to check that at that time for each single
> applet/engine etc ?

we (plasma team) would. it wasn't something we've been checking in the past,
but we can and should do so in future.

moreover, the "it jumped from playground into base" example you gave is not
solved by doing it in playground. in fact, that just means we have to keep our
eyes on even MORE things, many of which will never see a release.

> - in the current state in playground it is impossible to check for proper
> i18n with x-test or with a translated message catalog.

playground is not meant for release. it is not releasable code. i don't see
the point of testing for translations, nor do i see the point in translating
that code either.

> - it's not that hard to fix this now (change EXPORT macro name -> one line
> commit, move some translation catalogs a bit more.

it's not hard to fix it when they move over, either. the ones that do have
export macros should be fixed, of course, but still my question is why we're
getting people to translate this stuff in the first place, as much of it will
never exit playground at all.

> - who knows all distros already packaging exceptions like networkmanager
> with broken i18n (unused catalogs)?

well, actually, we do. that's why i mentioned networkmanager. other than the
odd exception, distros should NOT be shipping code from playground in the
first place. if they do, they have a lot more work than just i18n fixes to do.

> > networkmanager is an exception there as it's already being packaged by
> > distros.
>
> Where should the unused the unused catalogs networkmanagement_openvpnui +
> networkmanagement_vpncui be pulled in via insertCatalog()

Will Stephenson would know this one.

> So just decide in each reported case what is right, the macro name or the
> catalog name. that's doable within minutes and takes less time writing
> these emails.

... and translating all of playground is a waste of dozens of translator's
time.

humru othro a kohnu se