window management ideas

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 22:28:10 CEST 2009

so I had a crazy idea, and discussed it with lubos and notmart, and completely
forgot to mention it at the bof. I brought it up again today and we ended up
with some other ideas too.

what I wanted is window tagging. instead of virtual desktops and tabs (tabs
seems to be a workaround for window management not being good enough
anyways) I could just have tags on windows, and have a taskbar that groups by
tag, or have one virtual desktop per tag. perhaps some smart omission of
superfluous tags.

this could be done in stages: first the ability to manually tag, then session
restore including tags, then virtual desktops automatically following tags
(automatic creation and deletion of desktops would be nice, if done right),
then magical automatic tagging from nepomuk (open a document, hte window gets
the document's tags), perhaps other automatic tagging...

today I was told that wmii is a window manager that uses tags, so I need to go
look into that.

we also daydreamed about how nice it would be if you could save and load
partial-sessions consisting of a group of windows and an activity.

sebas had an idea for a new kwin effect to show all virtual desktops: instead
of showing them as desktops, show them as groups of windows. as a side-effect
this also avoids the issue of the taskbar showing the wrong stuff because the
taskbar wouldn't be visible ;) he also wanted the ability to drag&drop windows
between desktops from such effects.

in hte short term, I think we should add some simple features to make the
current virtual-desktop management more convenient:
-an "add virtual desktop" action in the pager contextmenu
-maybe a way to add/remove them from the desktop grid effect? (yes, I'm
thinking about gnome here)
-errr... I really should've written notes, because i forgot the rest. :)

comments?

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com