bof?

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Fri Jul 10 20:19:18 CEST 2009

here's my notes from the bof... sorry, they're not the greatest. does anyone
else have notes?

summary:

pretty much everything is doable, but plasma guys will need to do most of the
work.
kwin guys need to write us some specs and give guidance.

the kwin guys want things to happen, but like most projects they're really
short on manpower. lubos is going on vacation and then will have something
else he needs to work on.

the slide effect should be in kwin
there were worries it would conflict with fade - no, turns out it was actually
scale-in. and that can be fixed (also, it's off by default)

the view-per-desktop option is being (has been?) moved to a kcm. we need some
sort of notification when it changes.

the # of rows in the pager needs the same thing to happen. ATM if you have two
pagers and change the rows in one, the other doesn't notice. and hte option
real
ly doesn't belong in the plasmoid.

plasma wants a nice shiny API to call instead of using xatoms n'stuff directly.
this would simplify plasma code, protect kwin's internals from the world, stop
exposing implementation details. if kwin needs to change those details later
it'
ll be much easier with an API.
it'll go into libkworkspace

we need a proper way to mark panels, popups, etc. as don't-show (in taskbar,
alt-tab, etc)
it'll be a special window type
right now plasma is doing icky things to do this itself, it's not good.
konq has some java windows in alt-tab but that's probably a konq bug
types of windows that shouldn't be shown:
-pager
-popups
-dashboard??
-...
plasma needs to give kwin a list of what types are wanted.

someone remarked that the popup-shows-over-screensaver bug was solved in the
wrong place.

the dashboard is handled by plasma, it'd be better if kwin did that
the first priority is making it work with kwin. getting it to work in other
window managers comes second.
if necessary we can check if kwin is running, and if it is do things the good
way, if not then do ugly hacks.
would kwin be able to publish some capabilities for us to check this? yes.
this is another window type we'll need

aaron's willing to do (or find someone to do) the work, but needs kwin to state
what's acceptable

there are windownamager classes in kdeui that can be copy&pasted to add new
[window types?]
effects are easy, hte dashboard will be slightly harder.

hte UI continuity/theming stuff is already done :)

someone thought it would be nice to have a close-button on popupapplets so
that you don't have to find the icon htey came from to close them, but there
may not
 always be a good place to put the button

the glow when you get near a hidden panel should be done by kwin
right now it's slow and is intercepting clicks, which is evil
to do it in kwin:
-plasma should publish locations
-kwin should tell plasma when the mouse touches that area
-could this tie into hte slide effect? or might we want to use it for more stuff
later?
-the panel should announce what things there are, not tell kwin exactly what
to do. everyone really agrees on this :)

nuno wants to be able to have two colours for the active-window glow effect.

plasma is doing its own shadows. this sucks.
kwin can't do them for shaped windows. nobody's got a solution for this.

if a clear specification can be written for effects, zack may be willing to
write some awesome ones.
but they really have to be clear specs
right now there's not much structure to the effects
what we need is technical details, not stuff about how it looks
-how to publish information
-naming of things like xatoms
-a list of xatoms - don't much care what they are, but kwin should make them
up. this should be generic, not tied to plasma.

we should ask on the kwin mailing list before doing weird stuff with windows

the panel has an ugly hack for slide in/out
if kwin were to do this the shadows would be a lot less broken
what kwin needs from plasma: set some atoms on a "visible window" [like the
desktop view?]

...I didn't understand the next few minutes of the conversation; lubos was
explaining compilcated stuff

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com