[patch] fix crashes when source applet of extender is removed

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Fri Jan 30 11:06:35 CET 2009

I've run into two subsequent crashes in extenderitem.cpp, those are
reproducible for me as follows:

- d&d an extenderitem from an applet onto the desktop (it creates its own
  applet then)
- Remove the source applet
- Remove the newly created extenderapplet
- Boom (in the check for d->sourceApplet
- Boom (setExtender(d->sourceApplet->d->extender);)

The attached patch fixes both. One issue I've run into is that the source
applet still seems to own the content of the extenderitem. When removing the
source applet, it goes away. So I'm wondering if it makes sense at all to keep
the extenderitem around when the source applet goes away and takes the content
of the extenderitem with it into Nirvana. It would be cool if that worked
somehow, though.

In any case, plasma-desktop shouldn't crash, so OK to commit? Should it be
backported?
--
sebas