Another 4.2 applet inovation

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jan 29 08:49:55 CET 2009

On Wednesday 28 January 2009, David Baron wrote:
> In my case, I had my own configuration dialog, accessable from the GUI and
> as a context menu action. So now, two appear.

right, you should never offer your own configuration action. it will simply
not work with reliability with the rest of plasma, e.g. the applet handle.

> Shoehorning my dialog into the KConfigDialog may not work.

why?

> It hs its own buttons and interface,

that shouldn't matter.

> selection of the configuration interface be set to simply run my dialog and
> I would not include it as an addAction and such.

there are two approaches:

The Right Approach: reimplement createCofigurationInterface, create your
config dialog page(s) in there and add them to the KConfigDialog you receive
with the addPage method

The Less Right Approach: reimplement showConfigurationInterface and do it all
from scratch. you will lose certain amounts of Plasma integration this way
(e.g. the "for free" keyboard shortcut page) making it "less right". sometimes
it's necessary.

in neither case should you offer your own configuration action.

humru othro a kohnu se