1st Attempt to Use Akonadi Engine

Sebastian Kügler sebas at kde.org
Mon Jan 26 15:10:35 CET 2009

On Monday 26 January 2009 08:28:01 David Baron wrote:
> On Monday 26 January 2009 06:08:50 Sebastian Kügler wrote:

> > > It's still in playground, so you need to compile and install it from
> > > there.
> > >
> > > http://websvn.kde.org/trunk/playground/base/plasma/dataengines/akonadi/
> > >
> > > I also suggest running `plasmaengineexplorer` as a first step in
> > > playing with a data engine.
> >
> > On top of that, it only works for email right now, and you need to change
> > the hardcoded resource identifier in the engine. See my email in the lion
> > mail thread explaining that in more detail. After filling in a valid
> > resource id, you should get one source per email in that folder.
>
> I'll try that out just to see what it shows me.
>
> I note that others with applets using kaddressbook data rolled their own
> simple dataengines using the kabc headers. Is this something we want to do?

Don't know, I'd expect that in the future we'll use the dataengine for
Plasmoids. Other apps might want to use Akonadi directly, or maybe the kabc
lib will be rewritten to use Akonadi.

That's more a question for the PIM list though, I simply don't know enough
about it.

> Also, does this dataengine use/require the akonadi server or this is used
> as a server to "the outside world?"

The dataengine needs akonadiserver to run, yes.

> I notice that there is no akonadi-client package. Maybe such an animal
> should be around and the dataengine use it.

There are libs for it in KDE PIM.
--
sebas