Dataengine Questions, Proposal?

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Thu Jan 22 20:36:44 CET 2009

On Thursday 22 January 2009, David Baron wrote:
> On Thursday 22 January 2009 18:31:16 Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > On Thursday 22 January 2009, David Baron wrote:
> > > Register the applet with it/for it?
> >
> > applets don't register with the engine, really. they just ask for it:
> >
> > 	dataEngine("akonadi")
>
> So I say dataEngine("contacts") --or "kdepim". Is there such a thing
> working?

the engine is called akonadi. =)

> > you are guaranteed a valid engine in return. if an engine responding to
> > the name "akonadi" exists, you'll get that. if none exists, you'll get a
> > "dummy" engine. from there you can freely connect to sources, request
> > services, etc.
>
> What do I do with the "dummy" engine?

you don't need to care. it's just there so that if by some absurd occurance
someone doesn't have an engine your widget expects to be there, you'll still
get something that "works" back, but you'll get empty data for all your
requests.

this prevents having to do error checking and other such repetitive nonesense
in the widgets. by removing one less thing to remember you have to do, the
robustness of the system increases.

so maybe just pretend i never told you that "dirty little secret" and hack as
if the akonadi engine is just magically *always* there =)

> > we have a mouse movement engine, which is useful because that requires
> > polling the global mouse pointer. i'm not sure what the purpose of a keys
> > and mouse press engine would be though ....
>
> I mouse movement engine which yields Q...MouseEvent object of some kind
> should contain any mouse-buttons, coordinates, and hopefully or
> additionally the window or object currently owning the mouse (which should
> not be the applet).

the current mouse engine does coordinates only iirc. *fires up
plasmaengineexplorer*  ... nope, it also does the cursor type. neat =)

but yeah, no mouse buttons or window-over information.

humru othro a kohnu se