Plasma Applet Direction

Chani chanika at gmail.com
Sun Jan 18 21:21:49 CET 2009

On January 17, 2009 02:35:11 Marco Martin wrote:
> On Friday 16 January 2009, Jamboarder wrote:
> > > From: Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
> > > hmm... let's brainstorm on this ... things that are "global" plasma
> > > settings:
> > >
> > > * Plasma theme
> > > * install/remove widgets
> > > * per-virtual-desktop views

since I work on plasma outside the desktop shell, I have two categories in my
head:

global-global:
* Plasma theme
* install/remove widgets

desktop-global:
* per-virtual-desktop views

ee! plasma-overlay magically picks up the theme changes! :) I'd never tried
that before. but changing back to oxygen gets me a black panel, how odd. also,
anyone crazy enough to use widgets on screensaver but not plasma-desktop
wouldn't be able to change the theme right now. good thing nobody's that
crazy.

> > > anything else?
> >
> > These are a little speculative but:
> > - panel-follows-activity?
> > - Activity -> Icon threshold for semantic zoom?
> >
> > hmm... after reading Marco's response about keeping settings dialogs to a
> > minimum, what if these settings show up in a renamed/slightly-repurposed
> > "Zoomed Out" mode?  Contextually, you're zoomed out so you're no longer
> > activity specific anyway. And settings changes there could perhaps be
> > interpreted, at least visually, to be more global.  Then, perhaps we
> > could even move "Add Activity" out of the activity-specific actions into
> > these settings (kinda odd seeing "Add Activity" on every activity when
> > they all do the same thing that has nothing to do with that activity).
>
> could be an idea yes, so a toolbar that shows up in zoom out mode with some
> toggle buttons and add activity..
> maybe this could be a window (offscreen widget or just qwidgets we'll see)
> since is not immediate to show it not covered by panels if it's on scene...

hmmmm. I think I kinda like this idea. I also want a kcm for the theming, but
we should have a button that opens that kcm *somewhere* in the desktop...

I find that lately I use the keyboard shortcuts to *switch* activities, and
zoom out when I want to *manage* activities. so how can we make the zui better
for management?
another small thing about it that bugs me is that with the cashew-toolbar now,
four activities don't *quite* fit on the screen. oh well :/
I wonder... if we did put some settings into their own toolbox that shows when
you zoom out, where would we put it? on the canvas somewhere where there's no
containment? it might get lost there. do we position it relative to the view
so that it's always visible, then? and then it'd be kinda like a meta-
cashew... hopefully it wouldn't get in hte way of any individual activities...
and like the cashew it'd have to avoid panels too.

--
This message brought to you by eevil bananas and the number 3.
www.chani3.com