Ruby Plasma Tutorial

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Sun Jan 18 20:04:05 CET 2009

On Sunday 18 January 2009, Niels Slot wrote:
> In the last week I've written a Plasma tutorial for Ruby. In the tutorial
> the reader creates a simple but functional applet using widgets and Ruby.
> I've put it on a personal subpage on Techbase[1]. I would like to ask for
> some feedback. I've got one and a half years of Ruby experience, but I'm
> quite new with programming Plasma.
>
> I've also seen the new Python tutorial, they look really nice. I'd be
> willing to help 'translate' these to Ruby. When doing this, it would be
> nice to have a way to share some pieces of the Python tutorials. The parts
> about, for example, installing plasmoids, metadata.desktop and using the
> eningeexplorer, are the same for any scripting language. Can we come up
> with some way to share these texts while not confusing the reader?

packaging is 99% shared between all native plasma components (applets,
dataengines, etc).

a tutorial that essentially takes this page:

	http://techbase.kde.org/Projects/Plasma/Package

and/or the content in your tutorial and makes a little article out of it for
publication on techbase.kde.org's tutorials page would be perfect. in fact, we
probably want four (short) tutorials on packages: intro to packages, creating
a package, using a package, defining custom package structures.

the intro should probably start with the relationship between Packages and
PackageStructures and cover the plasmapkg tool.

creating a package could have five small sections: the metadata.desktop file,
plasmoids, dataengines, runners and wallpapers.

using a package would look at the API of Package and how to use it in your
code effectively.

custom packages would look at the ways to create a PackageStructure (the
.desktop file to register it as a service and then either a .desktop file
describing the structure or a c++ plugin)

all of these would be pretty short, really, and woud make nice bit-size bits
to work through.

humru othro a kohnu se