My progress

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Wed Jan 14 22:57:54 CET 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009, Marco Martin wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 January 2009, Aaron J. Seigo wrote:
> > >
> > > hmm woudn't this mean duplicating knotify in a similar-but-not-quite
> > > way?
> >
> > it's not meant as a replacement for notifications, but rather a widget
> > appropriate replacement for dialog boxes ...
> >
> > good example is folderview when it can't load the folder (doesn't exist,
> > network down, whatever). that functionality should be available to all
> > widgets.
> >
> > the weather widget in kdrevew uses a KMessagBox right now, because it's
> > easy to do, but that causes all sorts of problems: it doesn't look Plasma
> > and it blocks mouse interaction with the rest of the desktop.
> >
> > it'll also give us a nice simple bit of API to give scripters.
>
> could be something like the stuff attached,

yep, that's probably pretty close =) perhaps showMessage(..) though?

> not really sure if it should
> have also other buttons like a yes/no/cancel

we'll eventually get a request for that, i'm sure. there's also the case where
there is no "Ok" option, really. e.g. folderview's "I can't load this folder!"

and then there is the situation of widgets in a space (e.g. the panel) that is
too small to show it inline, so it would need to go into some sort of popup.
it's a little more complicated i guess =)

> and be syncronous like
> dialog.exec()?

i don't think it needs to be sync, no...

humru othro a kohnu se