Plasma Applet Direction

David Baron d_baron at 012.net.il
Wed Jan 14 19:31:56 CET 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 20:04:10 Alex Merry wrote:
> On Wednesday 14 January 2009 07:45:16 David Baron wrote:
> > 3. KDE3 panel applets/services I STILL use because they have not been
> > ported: knemo, ksensors. There was also a system-monitor (four of them
> > posted on kde- look are not as nice), kweather, kisa (cool live
> > spell-checker), and others which will not work or not function correctly
> > in KDE4. Would love to see (or participate in) their port to KDE4 (not
> > just getting off dcop but going over to provided data-engines).
>
> Does this mean you're volunteering to help port these?
>
> Alex

I would have to see the sources. I find most people's code (including my own
more than sometimes) incomprehensible after a while.

Documentation, documentation, documentation. I saw come limited docs about
porting, dcop, etc. Not enough. I have seen no documentation of value for
plasma beyond the nice skeleton that got me started doing a plasmoid (no, not
so hard), and applet.h. The oxygen-generated docs on line are not the greatest
and I have seen nothing about the data-engines, i.e. to incorporated kdepim
stuff into my phone applet. Knemo and ksensors will obviously use the data-
engines.

Standards? I used qt4/kde4 widgets and kicons to KDE styles in my applet.
Plasma has its own themes (but one would need to create icons) and its own
widgets as well. Must use/should use/there if needed?

I am available to an extent but it depends upon how tangled this can get.