kde community plasma integration

Cornelius Schumacher schumacher at kde.org
Wed Jan 14 10:21:21 CET 2009

On Wednesday 14 January 2009 10:11:22 Fabrizio Montesi wrote:
> On Tuesday 13 January 2009 23:07:37 Cornelius Schumacher wrote:
> >
> > I think the best solution would be, if JOLIE could use kio-slaves as
> > transport layer. This would naturally give great integration with other
> > KDE applications without having to implement all the configuration and
> > shared infrastructure again.
>
> I agree, but using KIO will not be so straightforward. I need to check if
> KIO allows for all the HTTP header manipulation Web Services need through
> its D- Bus interface (if something is needed and not supported, I shall
> mention it and ask for a patch in KIO, kde-devel would be the right place
> for that right?).

The HTTP kioslave allows for quite some header manipulations, although the API
is lacking a bit of consistency there.

I'm not sure who maintains kio_http these days, but I would think that
kde-core-devel at kde.org is the right place for discussing patches.

> I care for saying that changing the protocol JOLIE uses in the future won't
> cause any problem, i.e. we can start using the JOLIE http protocol and then
> change to KIO as soon as the integration is ready with some trivial changes
> in the JOLIE plasma adaptors (probably something like changing "http" to
> "kio_http" in the communication port protocol configurations).

This sounds like a good migration path.

> I didn't find any documentation about KIO's dbus interface, maybe the best
> thing to do is to look at the source code?

As far as I know there isn't a direct D-Bus interface to KIO. Maybe it would
make sense to write one. This could possibly negatively affect data
throughput, though. Still seems to be worth some investigation.