Questions about Plasma Activities

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Tue Jan 13 17:59:03 CET 2009

On Tuesday 13 January 2009, Hans Chen wrote:
> 2009/1/12 Aaron J. Seigo <aseigo at kde.org>
> > there's a "need" for global plasma settings, perhaps. theme, colours,
> > etc. perhaps that is what belongs in system settings and could be offered
> > via the checkerboard background when zoomed out as well.
>
> Reintroduction of cashew in ZUI? ;)

or a little toolbar right at the top, ala the Wiget Dashboard toolbar on the
dashboard.

i'd actually like that toolbar to expand on mouse hover to contain the cashew
items.

> In my opinion it makes sense to have a cashew (yeah, only one) when
> zoomed out that shows the following options: <Add widgets>, <Add
> activity> and <Plasma settings> (needs a better name). Maybe also
> <Lock>/<Unlock widgets> and <Zoom out>.
> That leaves <Zoom in>/(out?) and <Appearance settings> for the bar
> underneath activities. Maybe add a <Remove activity> button to it?

already is a Remove Activity button; we just don't let you remove the acdtive
activity since that opens a bunch of edge cases the code does not cope with
currently.

> By the way, I really dislike the name "Appearance settings". If Plasma
> themes are moved away from that dialog, can't it be called "Activity
> settings" or something like that?

the only way that would be accurate is if we combine the activity's actual
settings in that dialog. now, that is possible, but i didn't have time for
that in 4.2

it also doesn't reflect that that is where you go to set, well, the appearance
of things. this is in part due to the inclusion of the plasma themes there.
removing that simplifies the issue quite a bit.

the reason for the separation right at this moment is to accomodate the fact
that we have generic settings for all activites and activity specific
settings, such as folderview's config.

humru othro a kohnu se