Review Request: an overlay effect element for framesvg

Aaron J. Seigo aseigo at kde.org
Mon Jan 12 21:25:01 CET 2009

On Monday 12 January 2009, Marco Martin wrote:

> > > The idea for this case was that plasmoid A gets the same exact look
> > > every time but the bg of plasmoid A is diferent from plasmoid B.
> >
> > does it matter what the widget is (e.g. "digital-clock") or just that
> > it's the same for that same widget when plasma re-loads?
> >
> > e.g. would it be alright to randomly pick a location for the applet
> > background effect for each widget and then stick to that? or do we need
> > to hardcode positions for, e.g., "digital-clock"? (that actually wouldn't
> > work in practice, but i'll ask anyways to figure out what you're planning
> > =)
> >
> > there are five ways this could be done without being too crazy:
> >
> > * hardcoded locations for different widgets. this could be done
> > per-widget, allowing them to specify where the effect "looks best". in
> > this manner, all widgets of the same type would have complete control
> > over its positioning and each instance of that type of widget would look
> > identical. this does remove some of the control from the theme designer
> > as the widget would now be involved in saying where the effect should
> > appear.
>
> in metadata.desktop? wouldn't be a bit excessive?

i think so, yes. =)

i was just asking the quesions though, not providing the answers. you
countered with more questions though. touche! ;)

> > * random position whenever a widget is created. this would result in
> > every widget having a (potentially) unique position, and this position
> > would change between launches of plasma.
>
> hmm, fear it would look messy and most important it would kill the cache

there can be a finite number of unique positions, e.g. 3 or 5 or 100. what
matters is how they are selected: deterministically or randomly

(oh my, what loaded terms! let's not drift off into existentialistic
discussions here though ;)

> > * random position whenever a widget is *first* created. this would result
> > in every widget having a (potentially) unique position, but the position
> > would remain constant between launches of plasma
>
> maybe two digital clock is better they look the same? not sure about that

i don't think it matters, personally. =)

humru othro a kohnu se